Arbroath Harbour

Monday, December 22, 2008 ·
Advertisement

.





Time for photography is difficult for me to find at the best of times. At Christmas, it's well-nigh impossible to find. That's something that is really annoying when you've just bought a camera like the Nikon D700 and all you want to do is get out there and do some shooting.

As a result, any spare time I can find I've been driving the six miles along the coast to Arbroath harbour where there's usually something worth pointing the camera at. It's quite a picturesque location and varied in terms of the opportunities it offers.

I'm slowly getting to grips with the handling of the D700 and have it set up like my Pentax K10D. I shoot with the Nikon on program and with the front e-dial set up for exposure compensation. That way I just shoot, check the LCD to make sure the exposure is OK and, if it isn't, give it a quick tweak with the front dial. It's the best way I've found of working given the type of subjects I normally concentrate on.

Mind you, I'd have to say that the D700's metering system is superb and much more accurate than that of the Pentax. I reckon it's spot on probably seven out of ten times whereas the K10D was right no more than 40% of the time with a tendency to overexpose scenes, especially into the light.

None of this is really a problem when there's an LCD that tells you everything you want to know about the shot you've just taken and what you have to do to nail the photograph. Film photographers used to spend a lot of money on Polaroid backs for their medium format cameras just to have the same instant (or near instant in the case of Polaroids) feedback.

The photographs above were taken just as the sun was thinking about going to bed for the night and didn't present the D700 with any problems. This is the type of low-light shooting I love and which the D700 makes so easy.

Advertisement

0 comments: