D700 Turns You Into Superman

Monday, January 12, 2009 ·
Advertisement



The ability to stop a speeding train was once the preserve of superheroes but anyone with a Nikon D700 can do it now. Those who aren't impressed by the D700's high-ISO talents often like to mention their camera's anti-shake qualities - in-body or in-lens - or the simple use of a tripod as alternatives in low-light shooting.

What anti-shake or tripods can't do, however, is allow the photographer to snap subjects at a high shutter speed when the light is low. This train was speeding through Carnoustie station but you'd never guess it. I snapped it handheld from a pedestrian overbridge, effectively freezing it on its tracks.

Now, you can argue that the photograph might have been better had the train shown some motion blur and I'd probably go along with you. But the D700 gives you alternatives which most other cameras don't. I can always add some motion blur in Photoshop but there's no way I could have sharpened up some lengthy light streaks if I'd shot it with a 1/2 second shutter speed.

Advertisement

2 comments:

Editor: Yvon Bourque said...
Tuesday, 13 January, 2009  

Bruce, That's impressisve. I am envious. Time will tell, but my photographic apetite must go on...and if my current equipment can't follow, I guess I will be following into your footsteps. What I don't envy, are the people that live so close to the railroad tracks!

BRUCE ROBBINS said...
Wednesday, 14 January, 2009  

Yvon,

What I like about the D700 isn't just the lack of noise but the way it preserves lots of detail even at high ISOs. More than anything else, I think that's what make it so good for low-light work.

I'm told the folk next to the tracks get used to the noise. There aren't that many trains daily and they don't have lots of carriages so it's all over in a matter of seconds. I supposed 10 seconds of disturbance every half hour or so isn't too bad.