Merry Christmas!

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 ·
Advertisement

.

Carnoustie is roughly on the same latitude as Moscow or, putting it in a US context, almost as far north as Sitka in Alaska. The weather, thankfully, is much milder but the days are just as short. It doesn't really get light enough to switch the car headlights off until about 8.45 a.m. and it's dark by about 4 p.m.

Most days during the working week, that means I'm not in a position to take any pictures during the hours of daylight. So it's just as well I've got a D700. The ISO King prompted me to get out for some more nocturnal wanderings. I first noticed the potential for the pic above about ten days ago. It's close to my office and I had a feeling that it might make a nice festive image - maybe for next year's Christmas card.

The problem was that I didn't bother to take the D700 to work with me and the tree lights seem to always be switched off at night at the weekend. The other day, however, I decided I'd better get the shot before Christmas was over so I grabbed it after work.


"Lights" was snapped down by the station in Carnoustie. It's quite a brightly lit area but it's still great that I can do handheld photography and still produce perfectly acceptable results in the dead of night. When I'm out and about, I'm sticking to the 35mm f2 and 85mm f1.8 Nikkors but I'll maybe add a 50mm f1.4 at some stage.


The final image is a shot of a kerbside toilet cubicle. I'd like to stress that I don't normally hang around toilets with a camera but this particular convenience takes on a quite strking appearance at night.

Take a look at the detail in the Toilet photograph and the lack of noise. That's the reason I bought the D700 in the first place. And it's what will keep me firing away after work until the longer days return.

P.S. Have a great Christmas and I'll be back before the New Year.

Advertisement

0 comments: