Where Something Happens...

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 ·
Advertisement


It was the late Garry Winogrand who said that if you want to get a lot of street photographs then you should go where a lot is happening. There's an undeniable logic to that. It's difficult making a name for yourself as a street photographer if your base is a quiet market town with streets largely devoid of people. My home city of Dundee, population around 145,000, can't truthfully be described as a place where a lot happens. I've always been a bit reluctant to do some street shooting here as I feel it would only be a matter of time before someone I know wandered up and said, "Hi Bruce. What are you doing with that camera?"

However, Dundee University's summer graduation ceremony, where my niece, Rebecca, was conferred with an honours degree in law, was one occasion where a lot was happening. The City Square, which is right outside the main concert hall, was thronged with graduands and their family and friends. I was there to take some photographs of Rebecca and the photograph above just sort of happened.

I could write a lot of arty rubbish trying to explain what it's all about but, to be honest, I haven't a clue. It was just one of those split second things where I liked the way the people had arranged themselves and the gesture of the guy in the suit. The man with the toddler in the foreground didn't even register on me when I pressed the shutter release. They were just a happy accident, as Bob Ross used to say.

The pic was taken with the D700 and 28-105 zoom. I converted it to monochrome in Nik Silver Efex Pro and did a little localised levels adjustment in Photoshop to help the main characters stand out a bit.

Advertisement

0 comments: