Early Morning near Newtyle

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 ·
Advertisement

It's not often I'm up early enough at the weekend to catch the first light but I did manage to grab a few moments last Saturday when there was a sprinkling of snow on the ground. I was driving to an appointment but decided to stop when I saw a nice light on this small stream.The photographs here were taken with the D700 and my 28-105 Nikkor. There's a nice colour contrast between the cold tone in the snow and the warmth of the reflected sunlight.That's the way it was recorded by the camera with auto white balance. The blue tone in the snow was nothing like that in real life but it looks better than a literal translation. The 28-105 makes a great walk-around lens on the D700. It's sharp in the centre and the edges are quite good if the aperture is stopped down a couple. It also has a very handy macro feature that is, again, sharp in the centre of the frame if a little soft in the edges where it's not often needed in close-up work. The D700/28-105 could well become my preferred travel outfit with the addition of the 35mm f2 AF-D lens for low light work and evening street scenes. There isn't much I wouldn't be able to tackle with that combination on the streets of Paris - and, hopefully, I'll get back to the City of Light sometime in 2010.

Advertisement

0 comments: